Friday, November 23, 2012

My First Car Crash

It was between Saturday night and Sunday morning, pretty close to midnight. I had been out clubbing with my best friend, John (expect to hear a lot more about him in this blog) and it was time to go home. I dropped him off with no problems, then set to the task of finding my way home.

Now, I come to a blinking red light. Inside I'm going, okay, this is basically the same as a stop sign, because that's how I learned it. Then I think, guess it's a four-way stop. My turn to go!

Not sure why I had that last thought. Because it wasn't a four-way stop at all. The car coming across didn't stop because they didn't have to, and it smashed right into my door at probably 50MPH.

I can't describe what that felt like. I envision it really well when I'm sitting in a car at night, probably a psychological thing. I can tell you that the four airbags on the sides went off, and that's probably why I had absolutely no injuries at all. And other than those hanging out, you could have sat inside that car and not known anything had happened.

On the outside, though, the doors were unrecognizable and one of the tires was off. The car ended up being totaled. I'm on a rental right now until we make other arrangements, and I'm scared to death of driving in the dark even at the shortest distances. Kind of a problem right now, seeing as I have classes until 9PM two days a week, and it's been getting dark as early as 6.

For a while I was so shaken up that I didn't go to classes at all, and I didn't make any appearances online. Nor did I write much of my novel. I just couldn't. Announcing the creation of this blog was one of the first steps I took to getting back into normal life.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks to the airbags! Luckily your car’s safety gear were in good condition. Anyway, at least, you learned your lesson. Next time, double check the street lights so that you won’t find yourself in an accident any more.

    -Javier Hoppes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. Sounds like a terrible experience! I can only imagine how you felt after that unfortunate event. You must be shaken up from what happened. But I’m glad that you overcame your fear by writing about your experience. It is a way of letting go of things and starting fresh. Just keep it up, and you will be able to move on soon! [Cindie Guevara]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that’s really something to remember about the year 2012! Well, accidents are very unpredictable; we can only do so much to prevent them from happening. Perhaps this made you more vigilant and careful on the road. Anyway, I hope you’re doing fine now. Drive safely!

    - Mike Clark

    ReplyDelete